December 2017  
SMTWTFS
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31    
Bible Search
Building History

 

1875      
  • Union Baptist was organized by Reverend Steward Adams. 
  • Services were held in the Baymen Hall on Tarragona Street. 
  • Built first edifice on Tarragona between Chase and Garden Street. 
  • Built another edifice on Guillemard Street between Gadsen and Cervantes Street.
  • A storm destroyed the building.
1892              
  • Rented first floor of Russell’s Hall on Tarragona Street for worship services. 
  • Later worshiped in Saint Paul Methodist Church on Intendencia Street between Alcaniz and Tarragona Street. 
  • Rented Luke’s Hall on Romana Street between Alcaniz and Florida Blanca Street.
1900              
  • Moved the church building to Guillemard and Cervantes Street.
1950
  • Began rebuilding the sanctuary at 718 North Guillemard Street. 
 
1953
  • The word “Greater” was added to the church’s name.
1957              
  • Dedicated the new edifice December 8, 1957.
1961              
  • Burned mortgage and laid cornerstone February 26, 1961. 
1968              
  • Evacuated the premises for the widening of Cervantes Street.
  • Worshiped in Pensacola Technical High School until it was destroyed by fire.
  • Worshiped in A. A. Dixon Elementary School several Sundays.                    
  • Worshiped in P. K. Yonge School for two years. 
1969              
  • Broke ground to begin new edifice at 1300 North Guillemard Street on the fifth Sunday in November.
1972
  •  On April 23, 1972, marched from P. K. Yonge School to begin worshiping in the new edifice. 
1987              
  •  On July 26, 1987, burned mortgage.  Laid cornerstone and broke ground for the South wing.
1989              
  • Cleared ground for construction of the South wing of the Church.
1990              
  •  Began construction of the South wing of the Church. 
1991              
  • Dedicated the South wing as The Alfred Julius King, Sr. Nurture Center.
1999              
  •  On November 19, 1999, the South wing mortgage was paid in full.  
2006              
  • Established the Freddie G. King Early Learning Center. It is housed in the Alfred Julius King, Sr., Nurture Center.